Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Friday, August 30, 2013

No, 'large segments' of Blacks aren't in prison or on parole

By GREGORY KANE | AUGUST 28, 2013
I know exactly where I wanted to be 50 years ago yesterday, and exactly where I was.  I was a typical American 11-year-old, ready to head outdoors for a late summer romp just before school started again. But I never made it out the front door. 
My Aunt Margaret thought my time would be better spent sitting in front of the TV set, listening to some guy called the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., give a speech.
So I sat; I listened. And when King finished his speech with that rousing "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we're free at last!" I - in all my 11-year-old wisdom - just knew that I'd heard a speech that would be talked about for years.
Well, it has been. And, as each anniversary of the march on Washington has approached, there has been much speculation on what King would have to say about today's America.  That speculation has really been ratcheted up for this 50th anniversary celebration. As usual, the question has been asked.
And, as usual, some of the answers amount to flapdoodle.
Take last Sunday's issue of Parade magazine as an example. The question "What Would Dr. King Say Today?" was put to Stanford University historian Clayborne Carson, Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District of Columbia and Bob Moses, founder and director of the Algebra Project.....To Read More....

No comments:

Post a Comment