Search This Blog

De Omnibus Dubitandum - Lux Veritas

Monday, April 28, 2014

Just Wondering?

Editor's Note:  This was sent to me by one of my regular readers, a retired scientist in Texas, who presents a question worth asking.  A question that deserves to be answered. 

The oath of office by the President-elect is specified as follows in the Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

It is noteworthy that in 2009, Chief Justice Roberts and Obama miffed the oath so badly that they finally performed the ritual again the next day. And for this repeat performance, they failed to have Bible available, so Obama was sworn in without it.

The oath for members of Congress is:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and  faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.'

It seems interesting to me to consider the content of these affirmations and then think about how well these people have fulfilled their oaths of office. How well have these people supported or preserved and defended the Constitution?

No comments:

Post a Comment